Monday, July 14, 2014

Forever Lyon

French fact: Cannes is like America. In that there are American movie stars painted and imprinted everywhere. Also, there are a lot of American tourists here. And almond milk still comes in a box. (But, so does every other kind of milk, so I guess that's a little weird. Also the smallest jar of PB will cost you five bucks.) 


As explained previously (as long as my memory is good, which is doubtful at this stage), I travelled a day early to get to Lyon. This permitted me to have so many opportunities that I think I might accidentally travel up there early every time. 

Monday night, Soeur Carter slept over with us, so I got to spend some quality time with her. She said this would be the last time we'd see each other before she dies. This is funny because 1. I vaguely remember Grampy saying something similar to me right before I left on a mission and 
2. With my track record, I will see her several more times. The fact that I've managed to see her at least a few times a transfer and that I've never stayed with a comp for more than one transfer...It's not a lost hope. 

Opportunity number two came late that night when all the dying missionaries came in to go to bed for like four hours before they had to get on a plane the next day to return home. Soeur Hulme was there, we took a picture, and then she told me how awful dying was and how much everyone cries. Gross. I was just happy to see her and did not want to hear anything about dying. 

which car do you want?
Next opportunity was me getting to spend all of Tuesday working in Ecully with Soeur Witt. She's one of those really quiet, but very lovely and interesting people. And we had a great day contacting and passing by people and porting for the Ecully soeurs, aka Soeur Carter and Floisand. That night, we reunited with the trainers for the traditional trainer's meal at the pizza place. Francois the Leader cut us a deal-pizza, drink, and dessert for the price of a pizza. And Elder Thompson told me all about how 'dope' Cannes is. Wonderful. 

Wedsnesday we had a meeting for the trainers, during which I just told funny stories about when everyone's nightmares came true during my last two training experiences. I was trying to show them that all of the things they're worried about will probably happen and that it doesn't really matter, but it might've done more harm than good. Ah well. I love training. 




We went to the Ecully chappelle and we ate with all the new missionaries. As per usual, I sat with all the Elders and made them tell funny stories. Soeur Schreiber is my new comp. She's from SLC, although her dad is German and her mom's from Guatemala. She studied French for six years and speaks alright. She loves Korean soap operas and is extremely humble. I like her a lot. 

We did a lot of practices, learned how to questionnaire people, various other skills. Then, we had to stay the night so she could do her legality the next day. So we went out to eat at Flunch, where the hamburgers are not cooked all the way and the potato balls are delicious. We contacted some cool people on the metro on the way back. The other day, I just remember looking around at the metro when everyone was smiling and talking to missionaries and I thought THIS is how it should be. Normally, people are quiet and cranky and stick to themselves. But that metro was just a buzz of happy. It felt good.

breakfast with friends
We spent the next day doing legality and menial office tasks and getting people on their trains because we had to stay AGAIN because we couldn't get back to Cannes before 11pm. So we stayed the night, chilled with Soeur Roberts and Richardson and made pancakes, buttermilk syrup, and hot chocolate. We were up bright and early the next day to get our train to Cannes. 

The Elders met us at the Gare, forgot buses exist, and helped us drag our suitcases (and all of our supplies) to our apartment. It took about forty minutes up a steep hill. Being the most chivalrous of sisters, I took the heaviest bag, which soon had a wheel break, and I dragged pure friction up that hill. I was sweating like no other. All the while I was really impressed at the other Elders and how fast they were walking. Then one of them switched me when we got to our parking lot and it was like I was pulling feathers. So much for trying to preserve my suitcases. I tried hard. 

We bought some food and unpacked and found a map and showered and went to bed. Saturday we studied and then did some contacting before a sweet ward activity. We played soccer, during which I was actually competitive. That's right. I can defend like a boss. Par contre, it was hard not to get too physical. I tried hard :) 

The ward is so excited to have sisters. That night and Sunday at church everyone came up and said we're so happy you're finally here! Mama Gentil even kissed my cheek for ten seconds. Wow. The Elders just handed me a member list and book, so now the work will begin. Still waiting on a working stove or oven or hot water in the shower. Yes, Elder Hutchins, even in France we take ice cold showers. But it's so hot here that  I can't afford not to shower. In other news, I have a bazillion mosquito bites on my left calf. Vive la France! Happy Bastille Day. Have a good one. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment