Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Wake up the Giant

French Fact: I'm running out of these. Instead of saying goose bumps, you call it chicken skin. There you go. And people eat roquefort. I always get talked into it and I always hate it. Like hiking.  

Well. As per usual, I don't reallly feel like writing after a long train ride, mais voila. So transfer news, I'm training. Again. I already have all of 12 weeks and the district memorized, so it'll be cake. Soeur Schreiber is out to Angouleme by Bordeaux. Fun fun. And I will have two grandchildren since my two older daughters are both training! 

So last week I didn't write on Monday because I was trapped in the mountains with my DMP. I hate hiking but somehow always get sucked in. And I go and I'm excited and then I start and it' s just awful. Although I will give a shoutout to my Scoutmaster and my parents that helped see me get my Eagle Scout because I could read a map better than anyone there. They really would have been lost in the mountains otherwise. 

But I digress. We hiked into the mountains and played some team building games and had a serious missionary meeting in which we discussed problems and solutions far from prying eyes. Also apparently our DMP can't work with people until he knows them (aka drags them uphill with no shoes on in the snow for hours). I had a good time. And my knees didn't hurt til the way down. 

We came home and met with a less active family, the Carpios, who are Filipino. They are delightful and had a friend, Toni, with them. We had an FHE on the Retablissement and Toni was so excited to get a BOM. The next day we went back to give her one in English and she said, It's an honor to have this book. That's right it is! 

We also met a sweet African security guard who is full of energy. He's so cool. He always works right by the Carpio's house and so after we meet with them, he gets off work and we teach him right quick.

Tuesday was a crazy day of running back and forth. We met with Patricia Rodriguez in the morning and her cat almost threw up on me, but I narrowly avoided it. Still got the reflexes. 

We also saw the Monier family who painstakingly agreed to do some missionary work with their neighbors. Sheesh, we're not going to bite them! We're just going to love them. 

Wednesday too was a running day. Soeur Fily, a less active, agreed to come to church. David the evangelical tried to convert us. As if. Soeur Schreiber was impressed with my lack of arguing. But I wanted to Bible bash the whole time. Instead I just testified. Color me patient. We saw Colette, our lovely ami. Taught her the plan of salvation and her favorite part was the spirit world. First time I'd heard that. We took Akima's visiting teachers to see her and her kids and they totally took over getting her a ride to the activity and brought toys for the kids and it was exactly how VTs should be I think. I was so proud. 

Thursday we had a district meeting with our whole zone (because the other district leader broke his back...). And we had real hamburgers for lunch. It's been too long. We met with the Goncalo family and ate lunch. Also Soeur Giaccardi, a super cool less active with two kids. She also speaks english because she went to BYU Hawaii. 

We went to a combined RS/YW activity where we made parfaits and sewed birds. While the YM did gardening. My head hurt after that.

 But we also met our delightful neighbor, Christophe. He's got the best behaved children in the world. His 13 year old son bought pasta on the way home from school and said I'm making dinner tonight! Anyhow, the first time we met, he found out we could be transferred, so he told us to let him know the news. The next night, we dropped by to tell him and he immediately dished us up some dinner. Then invited us over to dinner the next day. When he cooked us real steak and some provencial things and I made pumpkin bread for dessert. Then I cut Soeur Schreiber"s hair. She wasn't expecting anything much, but told me afterwards it looked professional. Hehe. Well I was trained by a professional hair cutter. And Voila. Here I am in Lyon. Already fixed rdvs with all the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment