Saturday, June 3, 2017

#NMATA is Lit

The first half of the week was boring - chem, studying, psych, paper-writing, and a whole lot of me wishing I had already taken the BOC (which is happening next Wednesday, BTW). 

Here's what FB says about my life. (They're not wrong...)
Thursday after chem, Hannah and I drove down to Rio Rancho, NM (in record time, with 0 costly police encounters). We checked into the Inn at Rio Rancho, which was one of the first things built in this town, and looks it. It's kinda sketch, but cheap and it's got some cool statues. And it's good enough quality for a couple of college students who may or may not be getting reimbursed for this. 

We chilled with James at the hotel bar. He fed us the Burgerrito - a mix between a burrito and a burger. It was delicious. And he told us lots of stories of creepsters and ineffective police. Comforting.

Friday I finally got to see Tim. And he even saved me a seat, the lovely man. He's just as cranky and delightful and all-knowing as ever. He sent his first tweet under my watchful eye (#NMATA is lit). He even worked on my knee for a bit. What a guy. 

My guy, Tim, aka "Doc". He's a real champ. 
A lot of the talks were actually pretty relevant to what I've been thinking about lately - in regards to part of my new position as an AT doing HS outreach part time. It was a lot of concussion, emergency care, spinal injury stuff. 

I also met Jeb, a kindred soul who is almost as sarcastic and honest as I am. Either way, he's a fun guy. 

...And sometimes, when you push handcarts back across
the plains for a living, you look like this. Or not.
At night, Hannah and I went to the Old Albuquerque and walked around. We got some free snacks at an art gallery opening that had a picture I really liked but can't find online. I got ice cream and socks and a trip to the Rattlesnake Museum. Which was awesome. I don't like cats and dogs - I like ferrets and bats and snakes and lizards and turtles. Which explains why Snapper was my favorite pet. 


The conference day 2 was draining. I mean, it's just a lot of sitting and info dumping. I did kind of get teased for my attire - a t-shirt and golf shorts, as opposed to 'business casual'. But all the ladies were regretting their skirts when we had to do a lab that required you to crouch down like this:

Get it...
Of course, I can't lean on or bend my knee like that, so it was irrelevant. But I chuckled to myself anyhow.

Then they told me the Hall of Fame banquet was even fancier. And I verified this with my guys back in Provo, who confirmed it. So I bought a freaking dress (Lauren, I'm ready for your wedding bc it's the perfect color). And then probably would have felt fine in shorts and a t shirt. Ugh. I hate people and their insistence on dressing up. 

I was invited to the after party, but I was sleepy, broken, and not in the mood to hang out with a bunch of drunk, old people. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment