Monday, October 28, 2013

Je suis le Chef

Autun
     French Fact: If you were wondering, Where the Wild Things Are is translated into Max et les Maximonstres en francais. Weird. This week, we were able to meet with a lot of families with young kids and I struggled real bad to think of activities for them. Apparently I'm not allowed to tell them stories about cannibals. But I thought about reading one of the books I bought with them, but none of them were probably very good for small children. And I really can't relate them very well to the gospel. 
     Last P Day, we met with our friend Christelle. She still isn't trope interested in the gospel, but we sneakily teach her. And then she feeds us French Noel chocolates. It's really a win-win. We finally took a bus out to Autun, like an hour away. We met with our Branch President and his family. Their daughter, Agathe, is turning in her mission papers soon, so I'm psyched for her! We also have a new ami, Billy, who speaks English. He's great but frustrating. Don't worry, I convinced him that he believes in God after about forty minutes. And gives us his address and phone number. He told me I should be a lawyer and then left to go to his driving class. He called us like ten minutes later to say that he left really fast because he was scared of me. Then we had a lesson with Stephane. He is awesome. He should be a member. He is so smart and already has ingrained a lot of principles into his life that members should be working on acquiring. There was such a spirit in the room and although he's not ready to be baptized, I think he will be. He's probably my favorite ami. He also updates me on the Chalon basketball team, so it's not surprising really. Claudia, our engagee, is doing well, but she's going to be out of town visiting her sick cousin. (Look at her, already comforting those in need of comfort and whatnot). I'm hoping we'll be able to get her family involved soon. She is slow to understand but willing to try. In trying to visit a less active, we met a Muslim guy who was really funny. He would repeat everything we said while closing his eyes and kind of leaning back. "Oh, les Americaaaaaans! Pour l'Eglise de Jesus-Chriiiiiiiist". You had to be there. We met with the DuCoeur family for a soiree familial. He is divorced and has three kids, so we ate and did a fun little activity with them. When we left, the older son tried to bisous us. Aka, kiss our cheeks. It's normal here, but let's just say he probably won't try that again soon.
     In other news, I finished Jesus the Christ! And boy, is there a stellar ending to that book. Really the whole thing is great. I can't say I was ever disappointed with it. Sisters Jones and Christensen introduced us to their new ami, Nar Nar. He's black and trying to learn English. Now we see him everywhere. Once, I happened to have a talk by President Monson and so I gave it to him. I also taught him part of the law of chastity because a flirty Muslim started to talk with us too. I figured they could use it. We got a new ami too. His name is Henzo, he's 22, and loves America. He followed us all the way to the Gare and texts us all the time. He professes to want to learn more about our religion, but then he says we can't meet in church and he has to buy us drinks. I think he really just wants to be friends. And by friends I mean, probably more than that, judging by the creepster texts he sends out. Yikes. So we broke up with him for now. But we gave him a Book of Mormon.

Training is like having a daughter.  I'm a mom! 
     It's almost the end of the transfer, so we did Bible predictions. I got Isaiah 42:13 and 2 Nephi 29:2. It was prophesied that I would be training and crying repentance somewhere. Pretty accurate. I'm staying in Chalon, but training a blue. Everyone already feels sorry for her. I can't imagine why. We met with Joana and Fernando and their family. We tried to watch the Restoration in Portuguese, but their DVD player was broken. So we read the scriptures together. My scanty Portuguese was able to translate that they are waiting to hear if they are allowed to stay in France or if they're going to get kicked out onto the streets. They have so much faith and I hope they get to stay here. We also met with Frere Ortega, the piano maitre, and his five year old daughter and his girlfriend for a soiree familial. That was good. They tell me that the girl is normally super shy, but she came right out and after the lesson, we played peek-a-boo and threw pillows at each other. Kids are great. Until the next day, when a member in a nursing home asks you how many kids you have and then tells you to make sure you get married in the temple. She's really very mentally stable, but sometimes I wonder. I wonder about her and Elder Miller, a senior missionary, who tried to set me up with a Tongan volleyball player who graduated from BYU the next day at Stake Conference. Gross. 
     You know what isn't gross? Milk from a dispenser. It's like American milk. You just take a bottle put in a Euro and catch the milk as it comes out and then enjoy the whole liter in the next 48 hours, or it'll go bad. That's not really a problem for me though. Our DMP, Frere Landre fell again, but we went over to his house, because my companion, Soeur Packard is leaving. He can move around, but just doesn't want to because it's dangerous. He has a cane though. That was a mistake. Who trusted him with that thing? I can't tell you how many times I was frapped on the tete. He shouldn't be asking what Soeur Packard's first name is. It's written on her plaque. Duh. 

Best present EVEEER!
He reminded me again that sister missionaries are supposed to be delicate and feminine and I'm like Sione en fille. Sione is a big rugby player in our ward. Hm. I might need a cane soon though, because I had to pay an arm and a leg for a new bottle of iron pills. Yikes. I never knew. Thank you to anyone who has ever bought me vitamins. I also got to see Pascale and the Lepores (her cousins) because they're all in our ward! I love them. Missions are the best. Oh yeah and remember how we broke the toilet seat? And it's been tied to my bed for several weeks now? Well we took it down, cleaned it off, and added really attractive pictures of ourselves in the middle and gave it to the Millers, the senior couple, as a wall ornament. Best present I've ever given. December 7 is baptism day. Pray for that.

Sione, the Rugby Player

No comments:

Post a Comment