Monday, September 9, 2013

Adventure Before Dimensia

Soeur Hutchins at the Wishing Well
     Fun French Fact: They have to feed you. Learned this the hard way. Last night, we had an appointment with the Ducoeurs to just share a quick message, build their faith, and ask for some referrals. Of course, we had to have several courses of food before we could get to that point. Don't worry-the onion soup, tomatoes, melon, cheese, hot chocolate, and all the bread were delicious. 
Nun at Hotel Dieu
     This week was so boss. I feel like I say that every week, but I'm really not kidding when I tell people I'm "livin' the dream". This missionary work is good stuff! Last P Day, we actually went with the Millers and did some touristing at some old hospital thing called Hotel Dieu. It was pretty cool, but I was just itching to contact people inside of there. Also, I'm not really into the tours of old things. Show me the castle, show me the moat, let me try on a suit of armor and have a sword fight. I did reward myself for the good behavior by buying an action figure at the end. How could I not? It also worked really well for a prop for our FHE lesson that night on the "Armor of God". We also dressed our DMP up in some "armor" as well. Although, from what I hear, you might be able to find a suit of armor at his house. This is the DMP, Frere Londre, who built a swimming pool in his backyard so we could baptize people easier. What a champ. 
     We've amped up the standard for contacting around here. At least our District Leader has caught on, but nobody else gets to see our numbers until today, so hopefully they'll figure it out too. It's so nice to have a ville with a lot of people in it. Mind you, I still contact a lot of the same people twice, but at least we get a lot more new people too. Of course, when your contacting numbers are really high, that also means the number of times you get rejected each day is really high too. Soeur Packard even got spit at this week! I love it. Sometimes late at night, I see large groups of men and tell Soeur Packard, don't worry, we don't have to talk to them. And then I forget or something and I invite them to learn more about Jesus Christ anyhow. It's like an instinct at this point. I talked to a lady this week and briefly testified of the happiness the gospel can bring and she said, Well you're plenty happy! And then walked away. I also contacted a couple of TJ's (Jehovah's WItnesses) this week. They started getting into it, ready to Bible Bash with us, and then I was like Woah! We're not here to argue with you!  They were so confused. They asked, Well, why did you want to talk to us then? Haha. Just to invite you to church. They were not ready for that one. I decided we need to befriend them, as long as they've infiltrated Chalon. At least they're bringing people closer to Christ. We also met this cool guy, Eric, who is a street sweeper. He gave us his number and took a card and then we forgot who he was! But we saw him two days later, three times in the same day! He was so excited to see us and kept verifying where church was and when. Turns out he couldn't go, because he was working until3am the night before, but he really wanted to!
Armor of God-French Style
     We had a District Meeting this week. Our District Leader, Elder Kunzler has been calling us every night to follow up on goals from Zone Conference. He knows how I feel about that. I only answer when Sr Packard is in the bathroom or something. But I guess, once, his companion Elder Powell talked to me, got scared because I sounded mad, and switched to Elder Kunzler halfway through, without me noticing. Honestly though, at that point, I am so exhausted I don't care who it is, I just want it to go quickly so I can get to bed a little early. They thought it was really funny, so they've been doing it all week to Soeur Packard. Except we know when it's Elder Powell because he never laughs. 
   



Wood Nymph Nelly, Soeur Stevens and Soeur Hutchins
     Thierry, our ami with a baptismal date for the end of the month, is so great. I love him! We had some awesome, spirit-filled lessons this week. About repentance-how could they not be? And he is opening up with us and talking more, so that's really good. Also, let the record stand that I cried in my first lesson. Yikes. I also ate ridiculously spicy Dijon mustard that was expired. It was so spicy, it gave me a headache after every bite and I had to wait for it to cool down before I could continue eating it. Last time I try to make a sandwich with THAT. I scowl at it every time I open the fridge. I finally threw it away today though. I also went on an exchange with the the soeurs in Ecully, aka, a sub-ville of Lyon. It was fun. We had lunch with a wood nymph named Nelly. She's not really a wood nymph, but she sure looks like one! She is a super spiritual bus driver that asked for her records to be removed after she got offended about something and wanted to make contact with the missionaries again! Yay! Later, some Albani kids asked if they could be taught French at the English class the sisters teach. I told Soeur Stevens she better find them and have them write me some good testimony phrases in Albani! She better, or as the office elders say, I'll crush her head. They're silly. But really. So far, I have Spanish, Portuguese, and German testimonies, so if anyone knows any other languages, send me some good testimonies! Also a pronunciation guide...Oh and we met with the Kenny's. She's a less active member and he's not a member, but they're both awesome and love rugby and traveling. And their life's motto is Adventure Before Dimensia. Voila. Have a good week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment