Monday, December 16, 2013

Blghkstn = "Look at that mysterious figure emerging from the fog!"

     French Fact: Did I tell you that they play Christmas music on all the streets? It's American. Also, the city is rempli (full) of lights and trees and decor. The  city really coordinates this. Good work, guys. They also go on strike all the time. 

     Monday last, we were supposed to go to Lyon and spend the day there waiting for new collegues. Sr Jones and I decided to go rogue. We stayed in Chalon and let our comps get in when they wanted, which was necessary because we had a lot to do. When my temporary comp arrived, Sister Hulmes, we went to the Pataterie. Talk about fine dining. Everything in there is potatoes. No complaints, really. I had my Pata-burger. Aka burger with hash brown type patties instead of buns. Vive la France.

     At FHE that night, the Landres gave us a huge bag of food. Someone has been spreading rumors that we're starving. Or that suddenly the mission cut off our supplies of money, because the ward keeps giving us food. I laughed though, when I saw two giant boxes of cereal. They know me so well.

Burning House Snowflake
     We found the old Christmas tree from last year. We set it up and everyone said it was terrible. Money is no object, but we didn't feel like going to the store to get another one, so we just decorated it and it turned out okay. We spent all week in between activities cutting floucons (snowflakes) and hanging up decorations at the church. I made some really good ones. I'll send you a picture of the best one, or a piece of it. I fondly refer to it as "Burning House". Of course all my snowflakes are themed. I am not creative enough to remember any shapes other than triangles and squares. 

     Turns out Frere Landre really thought I was 24 years old. One day Soeur Jones went around to the whole ward and told everyone that. I showed him my passport, and then he frapped me on the tete for lying to him. Oh well. (hit me on the head.) I also had to cover up my first name. He keeps trying to find out what my name is. He said, that's okay. One day, you'll get really sick and you'll call me to give you a PH blessing. I told Sr Jones if I'm ever sick enough, call up Frere Ducoeur and Elder Miller.

     Tuesday night we went to Lyon and changed the tradition from McDonald's to pizza. All the trainers were there-meaning most of my favorite people. Soeur Swenson, Elder Herring, Soeur Vidal, Soeur Carter, Elder Schneider. They're great. We had a fun night of revelry, contacting the waiters and eating a lot of food. Then I carried some girl's suitcase for about a mile. She kept saying she was strong and could carry it, but I let her carry it for about 5 feet before I was struggling just watching her. Yikes.

      We had a training meeting and breakfast and then we had lunch with all the bleus. I ate with the Roneys and some new Elders. One got a full ride scholarship to play football, another is half black, and another is named Elder Hutchinson. You bet when he opened his assignment, I pretended we were companions. President also laughed at me because Elder Herring and I like to split up the normal segregation. So I sat with a bunch of Elders. I also mentioned the "Assistants to the President's Wife" position. He laughed. We're getting there.

     I got my new comp, Soeur Koyle! She is great. She plays basketball, shooting guard and runs with me every morning. She is just like me when I was bleue. She wants to talk so bad, but the language is coming still. She is so great though. We went home that night. We met with Yves, who is scared of getting the Priesthood. Working on that. Then we met with Soeur Hemy, building troll, who wants us to eat at her house now and help us knit scarves. Score. We met a guy named Jorge and taught him on the street. He's super cool and loves Noel. We streetboarded and met with Joana's family. They promised to read their scriptures every day. They better. We saw Jeanette also. 
     
     So French people think if you don't wear a scarf here, you will die. Except I've never had a problem with it because my comps have always worn scarves and then I'm too scary for them to say anything. But Soeur Koyle actually had several people reprimand her, in French, so not sure how much she understood, for going out scarfless. And Jeanette gave her a bright red, fluffy boa type thing that smells like old lady. She is really excited about that. We took the Landres to see a less active, but he wasn't there. So Frere Landre did what we aren't allowed to do and stuck pass along cards in mailboxes. He has his own stamp, apparently. People in France do what they want as long as they have their hazard lights on. 

     We contacted an old ami that agreed to meet with us and bring his friends. He also said I scare him. I said Good. I expect you to be there at 3 sharp with at least three other people. Et, voila quoi.  Saturday we went over to Steve's and did some painting. He didn't have any rollers and only two brushes which splattered everywhere. Which was okay, because his friend came over and we taught them both a lesson. Turns out his friend was an old ami, Elvis, who we're not supposed to contact because he's just really flirtatious. He kept asking us if we'd ever embraced an homme. I was so surprised, Steve thought I didn't understand and started acting it out. Yikes. We gave them some For the Strength of Youth pamphlets. I also told Elvis that I could beat him at basketball and he was really offended and started going off- I've played with NBA players before and made them sweat. I will give you such a beating you will never forget. After your mission, I will find you and play you in basketball, even if you go to the Netherlands. I've been playing basketball for 32 years! I told him he was really old and cripple and sorry in advance if he fell down and broke his hip. Haha. 

     We finished setting up for the Noel party. It could have been better. We started an hour late because no one showed up. We did our play first because Laurent had to leave. I was chosen to be Jesus Christ in a muslim robe. Soeur DuCoeur told me to stay away from any Mosques. Frere Dougy and Frere Picard did the most ridiculous talent. I wish I had a video. Frere Picard was free stylin' and chicken peckin' on the jazz organ while Frere Dougy marched around in a circle, arms-a-wavin', trying to get people to join him in singing Mrs Robinson, really off tune and off tempo and clashing entirely with the music Frere Picard was playing. We also did a 12 Days of Christmas, French style. I was 12th. And a plunger. Adija, an ami, did a dance while balancing a million hymnals on her head. It was a fun night and Jorge, our ami came and we taught him with President Catagni over dinner. Yves kept lingering. We need to find him some friends besides me. We're going to start teaching him in members' homes so that hopefully will force him to develop a relationship with them. And we got several requests for a dance/karaoke New Years party! I can handle that. Hehe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment