Monday, December 30, 2013

Your Stunned Silence is Veeeeerrrrry Reassuring

Sister Hutchins, Koyle, Jones, and Howden
     "Give your parents a direct quote from us: Your missionary is amazing. Thank you for sharing them with us." -Sister Miller. "What are you saying?!" -Elder Miller. Hm. Here's a French fact that is along the same lines as the singing bathroom snowman I got for Christmas. Poupée (pronounced poop-ay) is a doll in French. She's really little with abnormally small feet, so our ami Laurent and I both tease her about being small. Only he does it in French and calls her feet doll feet. Then when I want to tease her later, I conveniently forget what exactly the word for doll is. Also "Doo-Doo" is a pet name you would use for a teddy bear or a boyfriend. Because  that's what Laurent's ex used to call him. Gross. 

     This week, I called Frere Picard, a barely reactivated less-active, and fixed a rendez vous. At the end, he asked me Is there anything that you can do for me? I was confused. I said Yesssss? And he said Okay, you can bring me some syrop, because I'm mal au gorge. Okay, Frere Picard, thank you. His health is terrible. He gets better for a few days then gets sick again. He was fine when we met with him on Thursday. We taught him about genealogy and then I asked, so why do we do genealogy? And he said, I have no idea! I've always been really confused about that! Great. We told him about temples and he got really excited to go. As should you. Anyhow, by Sunday, he was sick again. He called me and left a message that said Hello, Sister Hutchins. I am dying. Call me. Okay, drama queen. You have to remember this is a 50 year old man who looks like he's 80 and speaks a little english and has a mustache. Picture that. Turns out he's not really dying. No idea why he called me. I just told him to suck it up. That's also what I said when Soeur Koyle fell down the curb and hit Elder Miller's car with her body. I don''t know how that happened, but it was weird. And funny. She's fine. And very clumsy. 
Christmas Dinner

     We dropped by 'really quick' to see Adidja, an ancien ami. Turns out there is no 'really quick' with her. We were there for hours, wrapping presents and feeding us dinner and we finally had to call the Millers (who live across the street) to come help us escape. We ported two 14-story buildings, according to Elder Miller's suggestion and have a new ami named Sylvie. She has a lot of interesting beliefs. She practices a variety of religions because she thinks they're not all true and they all have good stuff. She grew up Catholic, but most Catholics pray to Mary and she prefers Jesus. Anyhow, she's got a lot of good ideas and questions, and is just lacking a little guidance. We can help. She cried after I said the closing prayer. 
caviar parfaits
     We went to the Landre's house after that for a New Year's Eve party. Woot woot! With them and Sebastian, an ancien ami also. I love the Landre's and their museum house and their love for missionaries and this work. And her willingness to cook for us. Here's what we ate: caviar parfait, fish paté, chestnuts, turkey soup, potatoes (because she wasn't sure we'd like the chestnuts), and ice cream yule log cake. I'll let you decide how good those things taste. I also showed them how to play the whipped cream game, but it didn't work out so well because the whipped cream had been out of the refrigerator for a while.
 
Our Christmas Tree
     Frere Landre, a trained get-away car driver, drove us home. I was cheering the whole time, while everyone in the back was hanging on for dear life. We kept the tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve and Soeur Jones started squirreling open another package. We laughed about it and said we should make it the next internet sensation: planking, coning, squirreling. However, we changed our minds the next day when I started opening things and the envelope layers were already torn, so I got the package fuzz all over without even trying.

      We now have a chocolate table. People gave us chocolate for Christmas, and then people gave us all the chocolate they got for Christmas and didn't want to eat. Does that explain why one of the only english phrases Laurent knows is "I am so fat"? Je blague, mais, je blague pas. We had lunch with the DuCoeurs. They love Sister Jones and I. Our companions are loved too, but they don't really know them yet. But Frere DuCoeur kept kissing our heads and hugging us and calling us his granddaughters and Sister DuCoeur just kept telling us how nice it was to have us over. After that, we went over to the Millers for a refreshing Skype sess. with the family. I always forget what you're all like. Sorry. Also, I forget what my first name is. And what an excellent knitter my grandmother is. Hannah loves that sweater, Mimi. We had dinner again with the Millers and all the hobos that we teach. It was nice and I was really tired. And why was no one in my family surprised to find out that I'm crazy and really bossy? By all accounts, it doesn't make sense. 

     We took Laurent streetboarding with us because he doesn't have anything to do. Not sure if that was the best idea, but we're training him to be a missionary. Whenever something annoys him, he says I'm going to die in five minutes. I will fall to the ground and die in five minutes. Except that I have to wait until I get baptized, get the Holy Ghost, go to the temple, go on a mission, get married in the temple, and raise a beautiful family in the gospel. 'Atta boy. Not sure if it was such a good idea to take him with us though, because he's really protective of Soeur Jones and I because he likes us the best. Anyhow, whenever we contact young guys, he comes over and just stands there and tries to look menacing. Haha. He is really bad at it. But he did testify to a crazy man for us and tell the man that we understand and speak French. People are dumb sometimes. I yell at them when they don't listen to me and so they assume I am not speaking French. JE PARLE FRANCAIS! JE VAIS VOUS TUER! Just kidding. Kind of. 

Sister Jones and Hutchins
     Taught Yves about the Priesthood. Him and Elder Miller get along. Then, I chastised Beatrice who is still being ridiculous. We started Plan du Salut with her, but her questions brought us back to Retab. I told her she has to pray to know that this is true. She told me I don't want to pray about it because then God will push me to become Mormon. I know. And I see no problem with that. Our Zone Conference was cancelled because we couldn't afford to buy tickets. So we crashed a Zone Conference in Lyon, which filled my quota for my weekly Lyon trip and also gave me yet another chance to steal supplies that I need. If Laurent heard me say that, he would say Les dix commandements-vous les connaissez? He's funny. I like amis that joke around with us about commandments. Anyways, I actually had Elder Brady's permission to take all the stuff, so it wasn't really stealing.
Sister Jones and Hutchins
                      The STL's hooked us up with an emergency exchange with the other Chalon soeurs. Really Soeur Jones and I just needed to talk to Laurent because his life stinks and he doesn't trust Soeur Howden yet and can't communicate very well with Soeur Koyle yet. We just needed to have a heart-to-heart with him. He only cried three times. It went well. We also surprised Christian Kuhne with our presence. And we stopped by Soeur Perrin's on the way up to the eighth floor and told her we were going to visit him. She said, Well, I guess I better change out of my nightgown then, huh? Score. It was funny. Because Soeur Jones and I are absolutely ridiculous together. We also matched. And made him think seriously about his life. Sione is back from his wedding in China, so he came to church. After church, he was talking with me and Laurent (which is hard because Laurent speaks French and Sione speaks English). But basically this was the convo: Sione-Is he baptized yet? Me-Nope, January 12. Sione-Good, I like that. (Hand on Laurent's shoulder, pointing to the picture of the temple right next to us) First baptism, then marriage. Temple. Marriage. Got it? He's got it. Sione is great. After church, we sang to practice for when we go to a nursing home and sing today and practically the whole ward came and joined us. We need to start a ward choir. Led by the missionaries, obviously. Then Elder Vira, our district leader called us. I pretended to be Sister Jones and then really gave the phone to Soeur Jones and he thought it was still me. Hehe. He asked both of us to give talks for District Meeting. Sister Jones is talking about being led by the spirit and I will be talking about...missionary work. I told him that was really vague, but he doesn't care. I decided I'm going to take this advantage to work on my leadership and teaching skills and uplift everyone. Also, I beat the point system. Our Zone Leaders decided in the second week that we were going to start using a point system, but never told my companionship about it. Yesterday, they decided that was a bad idea and got rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment