Monday, March 24, 2014

I am Spiderman (to the Iron Man Theme Song)

Spiders!
Here's a few French factoids for ya. Premierement, there's the argot, or slang. It's really gross. Imagine all the gangsters speaking pig latin. That's kind of what it's like-you reverse the syllables. For example, merci turns into cimer. And fetard means someone who parties all the time, but kind of in a negative sense (since it ends in 'ard'). So the hip kids reverse the syllables so you can add a different ending and it turns into tefeuse. Weird. 

Secondly, when someone else is telling a story, a lot of times we nodd our heads and say yeah, yeah, I agree, yep, oh wow. Stuff like that. In France, to acknowledge that you are listening to the story, you just kind of grunt. It uses less energy. Mm. 

I played a sweet game of frisbee last week and kind of hurt my knee. Oops. It's ok, I just had to tune down the Jillian workouts a little.

 We met with our two amis from English class, Nico and Benjamin. We taught Nico Retab and took Benjamin to FHE with us, which he loved. He stayed there until the late hours of the night, despite the fact that he had to get up for work the next day at five. Yikes. 

For our exchange with Clermont, Soeur Hiltunen and I spent a while in Venissieux, the forbidden kingdom. It was fun. We were cerifying people's addresses for our ward and trying to visit a member, but her husband was kind of mean and kicked us out. President's birthday was this week and I talked to the Assistants two weeks ago about doing something cool for it and they said they were on it. I figured they kind of had more legislature in that area, so I left it to them. Bad idea. Can't trust them with anything. They forgot. We had a really good President's birthday though. 

Suin Jo, our Korean ami, is the epitome of Asian. She is so funny and reminds me of mom's imitations of Japanese women. Covers her mouth when she laughs, really polite, brings us treats every RDV, et tous ça. She is Catholic and her motivations for meeting us are slowly changing. She really likes the messages that we've shared and says it makes a lot of sense. We also taught her once with Gael, a young single adult, RM from Paris, who brings the Spirit hard. Who could resist? Missionary Matchmakers. Sometimes I feel bad about setting up JAs with our amis, but then the Elders talk to us about who they should set their amis up with and I don't. All I can do is provide opportunities and then let the chips fall where they may. Hey-we're here to provide eternal happiness! 

Our Chinese ami Zhifan is solid. We taught him a lesson on the Atonement and repentance, which was a little rough from my point of view, but he ended up summarizing everything perfectly. He is wonderful. He understands and applies so well. Our Cambodian ami Chanta is also doing wonderful. Between church and our RDV, she had a dream in which her deceased brother appeared to her. Then we taught her about the plan of salvation, she opened up and everyone cried. My eyes even watered. She spent the whole day with us on Sunday at church and then at the baptism of Rachel, Elders Johnson's and DuPre's ami. Elder DuPre is 6'8" by the way. So everyone in Gerland is ridiculously tall except Soeur Bentley. She's okay with it. In other news, we are now teaching all the Asians. Soeur Jones will be super jealous.
 
Luncheon
We had lunch with the Hares family and the full Fellowship. My comp needed her butt shot. Chabane asked us lots of questions about God and Jesus from his Muslim perspective. We got a coordonnee from Ecully, a man named Jerome who wants to know how to have eternal life and how to teach his family in a world with changing morals. Ask the missionaries. They can help.

 We had a District meeting that was good. We met with Fatima after she went to the temple for the first time and she could not stop talking. 

In English class, I taught them the word 'hang' and all its many uses (in addition to simple past tense, like hung). We helped Soeur LeRoux clean up the basement of her house. Her house is beautiful. It has an African theme because her dad was born in Chad. She is white though.

 Anyways. We met with a man named Christian Albert who got a card from the missionaries a while ago and started reading the BOM online when he realized something was missing from his life. We met Laurent again and he said we answered all his questions satisfactorily, especially in comparison with other Christian faiths. Promise is back and wants to be baptized again and promised to meet with us every day this week. On verra. We helped Soeur Yvars do her shopping again. And we met with a woman named Julie, who was contacted back in the days of practicing the questionaire. She seems to have a real intent, but we both felt really weird in her house, so we're going to try to meet somewhere else from now on. 

Soon the three wards of Lyon will be split into four and reorganized. So Soeur Tron found out early what ward she will be in, so she decided this week was her last Sunday. So in gospel principles class, she kind of taught a n'importe quoi lesson. We were trying to bring some kind of spiritual something to our amis by distracting them from what she was saying and explaining things a little more relevant. Let's just say the grave of the unknown soldier has less relevance to the gospel, than, Jesus Christ, persay. We went to a baptism and found out that Ecully and Gerland Elders were both teaching the same ami! Weird. Got that straightened out now. 

In other news, I got a spider bite on my leg while I was playing frisbee I think. I didn't call Sister Povar until the redness around it had spread to about two thirds of my calf. She freaked out and told me to take all these drugs and make a potion to put on it. I told her I was probably going to forget about the drugs, but the potion sounded fun. Since then, spiders have been attracted to me. One fell on my glasses while I was wearing them. I found this cool graffiti on the wall. And I have just been seeing them everywhere. Retrospectively, I kind of wish I didn't do the potion because I'm worried it will prevent me from getting sweet superpowers. I also heard there's a new drug in Utah that turns people's skin green and scaley. So I expect to have some crime to fight when I get back out there. Anyone want to start working on my supersuit? Make sure it follows the missionary dress and grooming guidelines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment