Sunday, October 11, 2015

What Happens in Vegas

Did I mention that for ward prayer a few weeks ago, my apartment introduced itself via accordion rap? If not, I should have. It’s gonna be a thing. Motivation was scarce to be found this week; I think a product of my anxiety over my impending Vegas trip. I am not a fan of traveling. Nevertheless, I did work. For example, wrote an entire essay in French in an hour between classes and my scheduled appointment at the writing lab for that same paper. 

Going to Tanner's wedding made me actually think about what I would want to do if I ever got married (this is obviously after I turn 46 and am allowed to date). I wouldn't make people wear dresses all weekend. That's for sure. 
Temples: I love them. Even if I have to wear a dress. 
There was a nice family dinner on Friday night where I ate Zupas and drank my body weight in water. The bros, Roger, Sara, Ben, and I all drove down together. We were all of Tanner's extended family that could make it, so we really had to represent. The Pace family sang some Elvis and Tanner sang a French song. People gave speeches where they just talked about how cool they are. Who doesn't love a good ego stroke? (Jarrod. Pretty sure I heard him mutter, Get me outta here!)
Grabbing our snacks after the dinner. 
Jarrod drove all us older cousins to the lights. I knew it was going to be rough when I tried to get out of the car and both video screens came down on my back and then suddenly I was washing my hands in my own blood. Vegas has beautiful architecture, fun recreations of iconic places (including Paris-even smelled like France since people could smoke inside the building), and lots of stuff to do. And if you get bored of the Bellagio water show, there's always naked ninja mud wrestling to entertain.
Porter, Sara, Greg, Roger, Tanner, ME, Cooper, Derek
Real France is better. But this is ok, too.
I want my family to come to my wedding. So did Tanner, but we accidentally left Cooper at the hotel. Oops. Also, not sure how you can make it through your own sealing without crying or saying a few snarky remarks. Tanner officially christened Derek as next wedded, which is a real relief since he was saying it would be me all Friday. Derek actually has a serious girlfriend, though. Dodged a bullet there. 
Wedding Selfie. All I wanted all day. (Besides some shorts.)
Waiting for Cooper to take family pics. Courtesy to Ben. 
 After eating a lunch at Mama Pace's house, we all headed back to our hotel for an afternoon movie shoot with my new shotgun mic. It does seem to pick up sound a bit better, although I think it'll be more noticeable outdoors. (There will be more where this comes from, especially if Corbin stops being busy and Emarie and Christian stop scheduling family firesides in our planned shooting times.)
The reception was fun because we got to dance like typical Hutchins lunatics in a world of vanilla, although, again, restricted by wearing a dress. Porter and I really bonded over a game of 20 Questions, including What is your ideal spouse? and What are you most self conscious about? He even let me drink out of his cup, unlike Jarrod who was put off by my 'lipping'. He was also put off when Tanner put his head under Ammie's dress to get the garter. Which, frankly, was uncomfortable for everyone. Let it be known that I did NOT ruin their sparkler send-off. And that I enjoyed some contrast therapy in our hotel's pool/hot tub with the fam.
Go, live your dreams. Hope you can find a T Swift that plays the trumpet.
 We all need a little more Uncle Jarrod in our lives: 15min before we were going to leave for church, he comes to check on us and was completely baffled that I was still wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Almost as baffled as I was when my old friend, Kevin Rigby, got up to say the opening prayer in Sacrament meeting. He's a great guy, working as an accountant, and living in Vegas with his wonderful wife, Rachel.
The best tabler we know.
Then a van full of some of the best people I know drove home, listening to Ben's new book including dopplegangers of some of my other favorite people.
Ben, Roger, ME, Sara, Greg, Derek. Studs, one and all.

1 comment: