Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Merica.

Let's start with the disturbing news:

1. My realization that our manner of singing church hymns would work equally well for funeral dirges has forever ruined them. I've always been a supporter of fast, loud songs anyways.

2. I had a headache on Sunday because the building was super hot and I couldn't get enough water to drink. That headache worsened significantly and I had some weird eyeball flashes that had me questioning the integrity of my retinae. It stopped by noon, but then the Mom Lady decides to tell me that our family has a history of hypoglycemia. Ok, any other genetic problems I should know about?? Not that I'm remotely concerned anyways.

3. Brexit. (AKA the UK voting to leave the European Union). My Scottish friends are in a tizzy about this. At least one of them is moving forever to Australia, hoping for a lifetime supply of beers, babes, and banter.


And for the good news. The higher highlights of my life.

1. Free food. My gym instructor, Chris, mentioned a free lunch at a team building outdoor games event for some department here. Naturally, I attended, along with several interns I invited. We ate a ton of their food and stole the volleyball court. They had these donuts hanging off the net, left from a donut eating challenge, and whoever knocked one off had to eat it. Stakes were high. I also got free pizza one day, and there was an interdepartmental nitrogen ice cream competition, so I sampled each and voted for my favorite.

2. I had a goal to spend some time in D.C. this summer, so the Mom Lady invited me to Trevor's VA basketball tournament. Other than the temple, I didn't spend much time in the city, however. My temple worker guy had a classy white eyepatch. And those stained glass windows brought back great memories of family vacations where the kids just had to sit on the outside and wait.


Then we tried to go to D.C. and this is as much as we saw before the Mom Lady turned us around. This, friends, is the longest escalator in the world. Probably.


We did get to go to the colonial Williamsburg town that's Mom's favorite city that she donates to every year. What. That said, she had no plans for us other than to meander around, and no preferences on which buildings to stop at. Good news is, I have some great ideas for future house decorations now.



We visited the only plantation WITHOUT cotton plants. I was really looking forward to an accurate historical representation and there's not even cotton. Just tobacco. Which Mom was interested in. For recreational purposes. 


 Then I used this weird device to scrape some wood. One guy was mad. The other guy thought it was funny and would have let me keep doing it.


Then we saw these kids piping around. Mom thinks they do this year round. I would be a piper if it got me out of school. 


And the best part was the acquisition of our new Jefferson 5.0's and some chilled 'beers. Stylin'. 



Other than that, we went to church with a giant cicada. Ate monster breakfasts every morning and then tried to avoid food the rest of the day. Trevor balled it up and I worked out at the hotel gym. Mom read her psychology text book. I finished the Mistborn series - and am awestruck at that guy's writing. Trevor almost finished Lost.

3. And finally, happy America Day. Hope you celebrated by listening to the Hamilton soundtrack on repeat, eating unhealthily, firing your gun aimlessly into the sky, and making sure to put the eagle topped on your freedom tree.


Why are there no knock knock jokes about America?
Because freedom rings.


We shouldn't get mad at Canada for being good at hockey. It's their sport. That's like getting mad at America for winning a war. 


If America was a high school, what type of kid would each state be?
(Some British guy): The whole thing would be a special needs school.
(Some American guy): Oh yeah, how many moon landings does your school have?


I would hope you're keeping your house at a temperature greater than 0C...
How much is that in freedom units?
32 Freedoms. 


And here's a "Clue" quote we should revisit:
Policeman: You don't have anything to worry about.
Mr. Green: We don't?
Policemen: No, it's a free country, don't you know.
Mr. Green: I didn't know it was that free.

No comments:

Post a Comment