Sunday, August 21, 2016

We Blitz. All. Night.

Last Sunday I tried to go to church, but as soon as I got on campus, I vaguely remembered the bishopric announcing a special stake meeting for the next two weeks. I went to the place that I thought it was and ended up going to a different ward entirely. Ah well. It actually was perfect because it ended at 11:30, just in time for me to get to my afternoon clinicals.

If you've been watching the Olympics this year, you'll know the U.S. is killing it. My friend Chris bought a shirt that says: two time world war champs, and I'm jealous. But you may have noticed some circular hickey-like bruises on Michael Phelps, among others. It's from "cupping". Essentially, you just suction cup your muscles and it's supposed to suck the toxins out, increase blood flow, and separate your fascia. We've been trying it out because we have the suction cups. (We also have the glass version, where you use this cool gun thing to suck more air out). I'm skeptical, but I'll let you know what our athletes think.

Cupping for days. 
 I have a roommate now. Brittany got kicked out of her apartment, so she's been chilling in the dorms with me. She's probably one of my favorite roommates because basically we get home and shower and she'll watch Netflix and I'll work on my comic book and sometimes we'll talk for a few minutes, but nothing crazy because we're both exhausted.

Wednesday I got off a little early, so I hung out with Cam. We checked out an apartment he's interested in renting from a delightful woman named Shirley. Then we went over to Luz's house for dinner. She's a Mexican woman that his old roommate's friend converted on his mission and somehow this random group of people started eating dinner at her house on a fairly regular basis. I wasn't mad because she's a great cook.

Selfies on the daily.

Thursday we had a scrimmage at the stadium, which is always fun. Although I have a lot less to do there, than in my rehab sessions. We bring all the injured guys out for the scrimmages so they can watch and maybe do some stuff on the sides, but not really. So I try to give water to people who are already flooded with water by the other ten athletic trainers assigned to them. 

Also, Kevin's family rap is finished. And just in time, because he's got like a week left before he leaves. Word is that Derek caught a fish and his reception went swimmingly. And the bathroom at home is finished. Also, Steve, the sassy head trainer, found out I'm from the East Coast, and decided that explained it all about me. Not sure what that meant, but he let me borrow his sweet BYU flat brim during practice, so I wasn't mad. 

Heading to the stadium for the scrimmage. 

Friday, we were off at like 1, because the whole team was going camping. So I took a nap and showed Matt my comic book so far. I took Rachel May out to eat for her birthday and she helped me pick out bachelorette gifts. Then we went to the stadium, where Remember the Titans was playing for free. I ran into Bryson and Vay, some delightful fellow Lyonnaise missionaries. It was a fun time.

Saturday I was kicked out of my apartment at ten (with very little forewarning). Luckily, Amy and Hannah were already on their way down to help me move in to our new house. We basically dropped our stuff off and Hannah came with me to treatment for an hour, where we were fed lunch and she sassed everyone almost as hard as me. Then, we kicked Alexis' cousin out of our room (she was just couch hopping anyways, and there's another spare room she can sleep in). Another girl was moving out of Alexis' room, so we moved all her stuff back in there. And we tried to make ourselves at home. Which was a lot easier after we had food.

Spock, DJ Vay, Nomes, and Poutine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment