Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways

As I grew up, under the sure knowledge that I would serve a mission, I was extremely jealous that boys could serve three years earlier than girls. Therefore, I would often joke with my dad that he needed to be called as a Mission President so that I could serve early. In high school, I realized that plan would also work better with school. Serving at 21 would require  me to go to school for an extra year beforehand due to my major of Athletic Training that requires two consecutive years of schooling.
Pres Hutch and the Future Missionaries
Anyway, instead of being called as a Mission President, he got Stake President. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed. However, being the Stake Pres means he gets to deal out all the extra General Conference tickets that people in the RI Stake can't use. Meaning his only daughter out in Utah gets them. Score.
Last October, Gregorious convinced my dad to take him out to Utah to visit me, BYU, and go to conference. We went to the Saturday morning session of General Conference with a few of my close friends. And now, I quote from the words of Thomas S. Monson
Today, I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21. 
My jaw dropped. I just wanted to stand up and cheer and do a little dance. Luckily, I was able to control myself. Isn't it awesome how the Lord pulls through for you sometimes? Never in the way you expect, but always in the way that's best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment