Saturday, March 23, 2013

Why Not?


Despite my initial motivation to serve, the fact of the matter was that I was set on going-and going willingly. Looking back, I figure I had a good number of boys beat on that point. 
Brad Wilcox

The great Brad Wilcox teaches my Mission Prep class and had us read the ninth chapter of his book, The Continuous Atonement, this week. "Faith Without Works (and Works Without Supervision)" discusses the motivation behind our actions. For example, young men often serve missions in search of extrinsic rewards, in fear of punishments, or to satisfy their friends, family, and Church. While these are decent motivators, they don't always provide lasting results.  
Female missionaries are another story. Until the recent age change, we had to wait until 21 to serve. That puts a serious damper on all plans of college and marriage. Most of the RMs I know will agree that sister missionaries are either really great or really terrible. And it all comes down to motives. Usually these sisters have been dedicated to serving for a while or just didn't end up getting married, so they serve because they have nothing better to do. 

I don't think robots would cut it as missionaries. 
There are lots of goals I have as far as the gospel is concerned. I want to be able to love everyone. I want to be repulsed by sin. I want to increase my testimony and love of the gospel so that I can't help but share it. I want to be more open to sharing the gospel. I want to be like this missionary, found in the book of Brad Wilcox:
President, I've fallen totally in love. Don't worry. It is not with a girl. It is with the work. I love missionary work. I just can't stop. I can't get my brain to think about anything else. I've fallen hopelessly and helplessly in love.
 I do love this gospel. And I do have compassion for people (more than I'd care to admit). But, I want these truths to be more prevalent in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment