Monday, June 17, 2013

Week Five: Watch and Pray

     What a week! Of course, they're all great and packed full of adventure. I mentioned last week my tooth randomly chipped. I think in reality, it chipped before and the part that came off was just the part that had been filled in from last time. I went into the real world for about 40 minutes to get it re-filled, if only for cosmetic/comfort purposes. Don't worry-Satan isn't pulling all my teeth out. Yet. 
     I also met Oscar, the head of security here so he could fingerprint me for my EMT certification, because they lost my fingerprints. He was nice and funny. Old guys have good stories to tell. I see him all the time now, but I don't think he remembers who I am. A downside of old age, I suppose. He was in charge of the stampede of missionaries crossing the street on Tuesday for Devotional. (Which, contrary to the rumors at the MTC, was NOT Elder Holland. Bummer. Still good, besides the tiny chairs at the Marriott Center.) But I heard there may or may not be a picture of me crossing the street on the Church website. Check it out. 
     Next Sunday, June 23rd, is the World Wide Leadership Broadcast on missionary work that I'm singing in for choir. You will either find me wearing a yellow shirt near an aisle or, I will be the one screaming in pain in the middle of a row. I literally cannot fit into those chairs. And if the people in front of me lean back, it's bad news bears for everyone. Also, we have been reminded several times that we should wear AT LEAST blush and lip gloss everyday, but especially to this devotional. Ask me if I brought either of those things? No. No I did not.
Garbage Duty on P-day
      Missionary work is a lot of forgetting about other things and focusing on the Lord. So when I get letters from people, it's a nice reminder that you're still breathing. And I mean that literally, especially for Grampy, whose last words went something like this: "Hopefully I'm alive when you get home." Hm. Yeah, hopefully. We heard Elder Kueck's first kiss story this week-and it's a crazy one. He started dating this girl and went over to her house to watch an extra credit film for history in 10th grade. He parents gave them lots of beverages and trays of food. They chatted for a while and he drank like two bottles of Coke. See where this is going yet? They cuddled on the couch and five minutes in he was asleep. Having the urinal dream. He woke up before there was a puddle persay, but to distract her so she wouldn't notice, he started kissing her for half an hour until he figured the spot on his khaki shorts had dried. Yikes.
     We built a Chateau out of extra mattresses this week and slept in it. That was a good night. I hosted a Spanish sister this Wednesday and, like last time, it was a huge hassle. She was in the wrong class, so we had to go change her books, move her luggage to a different room and hand her over to a new teacher. Don't worry-I still made it to gym on time, but I may or may not have sprinted back to my dorm to change out of a dress. We taught an adorable old lady at the TRC who served her mission in Paris many years ago. She started coming to brush up on her French, so we were on about the same level. As missionaries here, we have a program on the computer called TALL lab, which is like interactive language help online. And by that I mean nap time since it's so repetitive and boring. This week, I started memorizing scriptures during that time instead and it has been so great. I have to learn them in French and English to remember them. I talked with Jake Coulson, a friend from Glenwoods who teaches the Tahitians in our Zone. We forgot to go to our Zone meeting this week, so he had to come get us. Whoops.
     Sunday was a rough day. You may recall me complaining about how we are all supposed to write like a three minute talk every week and they announce the speakers Sunday after Sacrament. As per usual, my last class of the day got out late, and I had little time to work on this talk. So I did it quick. It helps that I actually know French now though. Anyways, so I get to Sacrament and it is blistering hot. The A/C is broken and so all of us are sweating bullets. I wore my hair down so we could take pictures that day. My eyeballs hurt, so I didn't wear my contacts. Obviously, I get called to give a talk. I think I would have been less nervous if I could actually read my talk, but it was in green and, like I said, no contacts. Needless to say, it was rough. The best part of it was when I quoted our Objective and some scriptures. But rough. I forgot this was the last week we could give talks, so I probably should have been more prepared since I knew they would pick me. I am fluent, after all.
If you don't know by now, Tad R. Callister is my favorite. I told my dad and Grampy that if they had connections to help me meet this guy, to call them up ASAP. And last week, I did meet him, although my district was confused about why I liked him so much because the talk was mediocre. Well they all came with me to a viewing of an old talk on the Apostasy he did at the MTC and they now know. Ahhhh yeah. 
     On another note, I got my travel plans this week. The Lyon-ers leave next Monday at 6 am and arrive the following day at 11 am due to layovers and time changes and such. I'm gonna be a real missionary! Yay! But really. The MTC is great, but you just don't feel like a real missionary here. It's just like a school.
Here's my spiritual epiphony of the day. First off, I love the Plan of Salvation.



P-Day 
      I've never really studied it in depth, but what they say about that familiar ring is a real occurance. Anyhow. I was thinking about the premortal existence and the war in heaven. According to Jesus the Christ, the valiant fought against Satan in the war, but those that fought against him AND those that refrained from fighting all recieved bodies and the opportunity to come to earth. Supposedly, this world contains the most wickedness, which I think is why Jesus Christ had to come here personally. Therefore, this world would be the hardest to succeed in and so I think it was mainly the more valiant people who got sent here. Isn't that awesome? We all fought in that war and wanted this chance so bad! I hope I got to ride a unicorn or a dragon or something. But it puts things into perspective a little differently, especially investigators. I love it.
I am writing a poem for my district, so if anyone knows rhymes for gospel or companion, let me know. I don't have access to a rhyming dictionary here and those are toughies.

No comments:

Post a Comment