Monday, July 22, 2013

Il faut prier!

     I believe I need to clarify French Fact Number One. It's true that I would not call up any of my French neighbors to help transport a couch. But the thing is, I wouldn't have to. They would be there in the drop of a hat, rarin' to help out. 
Zone conference in Geneva
     As Soeur Layton is going home soon, we sometimes play this game where we ask questions as if we are home. Mainly pinpointing things that are strange here that you become used to. For example: Why are the men all stronger than me? And why are none of them offering to carry my bags? 
     The members especially are awesome. They drive from all over in their tiny French cars to come to church and to support and serve each other. If nothing else, serving here makes me want to be a better member. They are so dedicated and so helpful to the missionaries. 
     The other day we were coming home from a tomber-vous with our investigator, Christ, and we were contacting. We got to a section and literally there were no people anywhere in sight. This is a little unusual, especially around Tour de France time. Usually we at least see one person. But I had a thought enter into my mind: Il faut prier. And pray, I did. As we were walking, I just started praying so hard. Please let us find ONE person to teach. Let us find ONE person who is ready for the gospel. Just ONE. About half a second later, we spotted a man over yonder coming across the bridge, over the crest of the hill. Raphael, the hitchhiking song history major, accordian and all, accepted a Book of Mormon and agreed to contact our Geneve missionaries upon his return. Miracles happen. The Lord is ready to pour out blessings upon each of you, sometimes you just have to ask. And sometimes you have to be reminded to ask. I hope this serves as a sufficient reminder to you.


Pascal's baptism
 We had our first baptism! Pascal was so ready for it. She is wonderful. Her cousins were converted like 30 years ago and have been working with her ever since. Don't worry, if you want a sneak peak at her cousin, Roland Lepore, who baptized her, he and his son are pictured on the first page of the tableo f contents in the Nopvember 2011 Ensign. I would not be surprised if he were called to be an apostle. He's French, served his mission in Salt Lake and lived there for 12 years, married Aimee there and has some kids, and works in the Family History section for the Church. Also, he wrote a book on his mission during his P Days while his comps played basketball. What. Anyhow, convert baptisms are great. You can see the difference in their faces and feel the Spirit so strong. I ran up to Pascale afterwards and gave her a big hug. That may or may not be against social protocol, but                                                                                               then again, so is everything I do. Ah well.
     That's pretty much all that happened this week. I guess I also scored major points with the Primary kids when I busted out a stunning rendition of Pirates of the Caribbean on the piano before church. I think we ended up teaching one lesson this week, but as we like to say, teach less, baptize more. And our contacting numbers are higher. It doesn't help that none of the buses were running normal a cause de Tour de France. 

Sister Layton and Sister Hutchins with sweet treats

No comments:

Post a Comment