Monday, August 19, 2013

Part One: Wonder of Wonders



Soeur Sovaleni and Soeur Hutchins in Geneva

     I title this letter Part One in the hopes that there will indeed be a part two that I can call Miracle of Miracles. Watch and Pray. Fun Frenchie Fact: 
     Here's the low-down for this week. First of all, I was sick. Yes, I've been taking my vitamins. Yes, I've been washing my hands. Yes, I've eaten enough fiber. But for whatever reason, one day I got sick. I had a fever and then hot and cold flashes and I felt like I was going to throw up. Sorry if that's too graphic. Luckily, we had planned some really slow-paced days where we could take our time and relax. Just kidding. We're missionaries. So I just struggled along. Its funny, because Soeur Sovaleni and I actually walked at the same pace! Normally, I have to look back every ten yards and wait for her to catch up. Oh Tahitians. Slowly but surely, I will get her to increase her walking speed. As Oregon Trailers know: Grueling Pace, Meager Rations gets you to the end. She also doesn't really understand the meager rations part. She kept trying to feed me, but there's only so many times you can mime throwing up before giving up. But if nothing else, I lowered my pride enough to ask for a blessing from my District Leader, Elder Strom. I love the Priesthood. There's nothing quite like the taste of God's power you can get in priesthood blessings. 
     Secondly for this week, every single lesson we had with investigators was a tombez-vous. And if you don't understand the lingo yet, that means we showed up and they didn't. 
     Thirdly, our mission is low on funds I think. That means we have limited BOMs (Book of Mormons) to give out. How can you convert people if they don't have the proof of our message to study in their homes? Our advice was to hold on to the BOMs you have and tell the people you contact they can have one if they show up to the RDV. 
Now to the good news. After that bummer of a week, we get to church Sunday with our awesome ward. A guy we contacted on the street one day showed up for all of church and loved it! Our less active member showed up for the whole thing and even wore a tie! And we had a killer talk on missionary work by the Stake YM President, I think, Frere Roban. Oh it was a sweet meeting. His 16 year old son has already converted and baptized 5 of his friends! Wowzers. After, he went over and talked to Joao-Pedro, our ami, and gave him a Livre de Mormon. He didn't even know about our shortage!  Later, we finished planning for the week and we had 22 lessons planned for the upcoming week. You can cross one off, since we tried to find the address already and I don't think it exists. But that in itself is a miracle! 
     And we ate my first French crepe meal with the Collignons. I love them. I want them to stay at our house and be friends with my family. But I forget that my family doesn't all speak French. Which is a bummer, since they are the best. Aaron and I can hang out with them by ourselves. Maybe Kevin if he speaks French. 
River reminds me of the movie 'Timeline'
     We also had a Zone Conference this week. It was a faith builder. I have realized that our Mission President sets goals for a reason. And they are achievable. So this week, we will try so hard to achieve them. We also have the task of purifying our hearts. We have a paper on the process of purification-the story of a missionary who could tell he didn't have that special power of the Holy Ghost yet. Basically, you make a list of all the things you should stop doing and fast from them for 40 days, praying for the much needed help all the way. And by the end, voila! In addition, I've studied all of Preach My Gospel, the Handbook, and the Health Guide to find all the other things I should be doing and am replacing bad habits with good ones. Its nothing major, but its already made a big difference. People can't help but listen when you really have the spirit. It's awesome. So that's the challenge for you this week-purify your hearts. Get rid of a bad habit and replace it with a good one. Consciously fast from it for 40 days, praying all the time for help. I love this people. I love this gospel. I know that it's true. Bonne semaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment