Thursday, May 15, 2014

Beware the Poux

French fact: The word for lice is poux. Pronounced like poo. That's kind of how I feel about them. At Zone Conference, the nurse made my companion stand up and said, Behold, look at her beautiful long blonde hair. Lice are attracted to this. I can vouche. After an exchange this week, the sisters told us that they had lice hatch in their hair. Hundreds and hundreds of the little poos. Ugh. So we did a check, and, sure enough...Anyhow, I'm lice-free and after hours of hair-searching, so is Soeur Hulme. We caught it early enough and freaked out enough that it is no longer an issue. The Montaubon soeurs were not so lucky. Everytime I recheck her hair we watch either JS Prophet or the Testaments and I also found a way to make homemade rootbeer really easily, so I treat myself. Because you can't buy that stuff here. Anyhow, all that effort was really vital because, as an STL, we could literally spread lice to the entire country of France within a matter of weeks. But now, it's isolated in one apartment. 


I did three exchanges this week. They are a lot less consuming than ones in Lyon. I think it's because things are significantly calmer here. Our ami Jeremy is progressing slowly but surely to baptism. Soeur Aceva is being reactivated. Maylis requested the new member lessons because the missionaries never taught her them and she felt lost and frustrated, even two years later. Yikes. Teach your recent converts. Integrate them. 

Pierre is staying in our ward and he is slowly progressing also. It's amazing the changes this gospel can stimulate. We have a new ami named Baba who is so cool and ready to go jusqu'au bout to know the truth. A fond la caisse. All the way. Until death. Sweet. 

We bought patisseries for Soeur Hulme's mission birthday. She actually cares about that stuff a lot more that I do, so I try to cater to her. Ya know. We found out a less active is actually dead. Awkward, that was. And the Eysines ward is falling apart, but the missionaries threw like a party for their ward and moral and efforts have significantly increased since then. So that's way cool. 

My favorite ami is Sonia. She is a wonderful mother with so much faith and desire and just no direction. We teach her in English, with a little French, so that she can improve her English language skills. Today, she brought a friend to the lesson. She had told her friend, Violin, all about the Book of Mormon and the restoration of the gospel. We taught them the Plan du Salut today and committed Sonia to baptism and Violin to read the BOM. So they're super solid. The weird thing is that I've only ever taught her on exchange, so she's never met Soeur Hulme. Which I don't think is weird, because there are plenty of amis Soeur Hulme teaches that I've never met, but for some reason, she's freaking out about it. We are just on exchange every day so we both kind of have amis that are ours. It's weird. Obviously not preferable that way, but it works.
Sunday, before I skyped my fam, I got to play a game called Good Guys Bad Guys that was created by Soeur Defranchi, from Provincetown, Mass. It has some potential, but it's also really hard because you need to know pretty well BOM characters. Monday, I got to spend most of the day at Arcachon, at the Dune du Pilas, largest sand dune in Europe. I had to make the footprints for everyone else to follow in as we climbed up and over. Then back up and over. It was fun. And a really good calf workout. I contacted a guy parasailing. We ate pizza and fries and gelattos. Voila quoi. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment