Monday, April 21, 2014

Hold out both hands. Now take away eight fingers.

Today's French Fact comes straight to you from my new collègue, Soeur Hulme: The French are very dramatic. You can tell by looking at a French keyboard, where you have to press the shift button to get a period, but not the exclamation point. Go figure. Also, I'm currently listening to dubstep pirates. What. Up. Can't beat French internet cafes. 

Emmanuel and SR. Meyer
Well I don't know where I left off last time, but let me start over. Left Lyon last Monday on a four hour train ride to Toulouse. During this train ride, Elder Ardesch was hitting me with a paper and telling me that every guy that passed was my future husband. Then all the other missionaries ate all my food. Then I waited an hour and took another long ride to Bordeaux. Where I saw Soeur Jones and Soeur Hulme. And they gave me a giant sugary macaroon for my birthday. Then we spent the night with them because we didn't have any electricity. Partially because they were hitting our lights with a hammer, but that's besides the point. End day 1.

all my black men
 Day 2, we went to the only bircolage store in France for about three hours or so in order to find the best and cheapest way to fix our light. We finally got it figured out and then paid for it with our blue card. For those of you who don't know what a blue card is, it's essentially magic. It has unlimited money on it and is granted only unto ZLs. But STLs are pretty much mega zone leaders because we have to take care of three zones of people. So, I snagged the last one of these magic cards before leaving Lyon. Now we don't have to pay for all the train tickets and extra food from personal supplies. Ca coute cher. We had a rdv with our ami, Jerely and his girlfriend, Mathilde, who's deja a member. Meanwhile, we did leave the ZLs to fix our light for us with all the stuff we bought, Wednesday.

We met with another ami, Pierre with a member named Soeur Martin. They're both a little out there. It started getting really crazy when we started talking about the feelings of the Holy Ghost. Yeah, had to reign that lesson back in. We also found a 20 euro bill on the street. Last time this happened, I was with my best friend in the whole world, Lauren, and we went to the farmer's market and bought ice cream and temptations. And a hamburger. This time, with the permission of our ZLs, we bought delicious French patisseries. 
Suin Jo and Sr Meyer

I got to meet a bunch of members throughout the week, which is good because my comp and I will rarely be together again for the rest of the transfer. We're back up to doing 10 exchanges a transfer. One of the aforementioned members, is a little old woman named Sr Petit. I saw her picture in our member book and was terrified. After assuring me that it really was just a terrible picture, I consented to venture over to chez-elle. Bad idea. She's way scarier in real life. So nice and a concert pianist, but I just almost jump every time I see her. Oh yeah. Then we took the only bus out to this tiny ville near Salle. It was a ghost town essentially. The member we were meeting there totally bailed on us and there wasn't a bus back. Ever. So we wondered around in the desert for a few hours. Eventually, found a toilet and some snacks. A little later, another member picked us up and brought us to their house for lunch. They happened to have had the Elders over au meme temp. So we all got a ride back together and had to cancel some rdvs because we were planning on being back a lot sooner. 

Does it look like Sr. Hutchins is holding
these girls hostage?
Church was cool. I'm really impressed at my ability to remember people's names. It's like leaving that half of the mission just cleared out my brain. It's nice. I can recall that information if need be. So we have more members than my whole mission put together so far. I already got me some creds with the kids and the men. Women I'm less worried about. But if you want to get into member's homes, the kids and the men will convince their wives.  That's the game plan, anyhow. Oh yeah, here's a quote from the lesson on PH: The PH is like a meal. The Aaronic is preparatory, like the entrée and the Melchezidek is like the plat de résistance. Thanks, Fred.
Frere Vincent







Soeur Hulme bio. She's 20, from Draper, UT, and likes basketball. We run every morning. I fell twice because I don't wear contacts and the cobblestone is rough. She likes to wear colors. And she's super chill. We get along. 






No comments:

Post a Comment