Sunday, April 19, 2015

I'll Cry If I Want To

It is finished. -Naomi, after spending countless hours working on this film. This is the biggest project I've worked on and I'm glad to have seen the end of it. Here's part one if you missed it. And here's part two: a sequel in which each of us is a Scooby Doo character, set in Provo, where the villain is a play off the Claw from Inspector Gadget.
I feel like the Bishop always needs to be included 
in these things.  Plus, he's our best actor. 
Now that's over, I can get back to studying. Jokes. Who do you think I am, my roommates? We had our last two days of school Monday/Tuesday. I went to the ending ward social at a park, involving free food, volleyball, and baseball. I always knew my t-ball years would come in handy.
Pfizer called! I got my internship in CT for the summer! Still not sure if this is ruining or making my life. Money and family and New England vs. friends and Mission President and EFY.  I bought a plane ticket. Then I found out the friend of a friend's brother needs someone to drive his car out to Boston. Lauren and I jumped at the offer and we're doing it. We're terrified. (Southwest lets me alter my flight plans, so we're solid.) The journey includes stops at Uncle Zach's, Nauvoo, Harrisburg, and home. We'll send pictures every hour we're still alive.
Can someone say "bad idea"? We're gonna die for sure. 
This is the birthday extravaganza. My goal was to do at least one thing cool every day. Tuesday, we had a small gathering of people and brownies and presents from my roommates. And I thought back to one year ago...when President Roney transferred me literally across the country and I took the longest train ride of my life with people who kept eating my food and then I was reunited with Soeur Jones who made a scene out of a macaroon in the Bordeaux train station and the electricity in our apartment was out because she and Soeur Hulme thought it was a good idea to smash our light fixture with a hammer. Good times? Eh. Maybe.
Bordeaux. I know it all too well. 
I tried to make French Bread again. Still a work in progress. I only set the fire alarm off three times. It tasted good (it was chocolate coconut, how could it not?), but it's not rising like it should. Crack out the dutch oven, parents.
This is the future. The current bread is not 
quite so...picturesque. Yet. 
Waterpolo team "Naomi Hutchins" came over for Brick Oven pizza and rootbeer floats to celebrate our victory in a casual environment. It began and ended with me talking about my mission. Go figure.
Derek and I celebrated my birthday at Tucanos, the Brazilian grill that serves nearly unlimited meat. My favorite was the sirloin. Also grilled pineapple and lemonade. Also anything that was meat. Why have I not been there before? Note to self: never become a vegetarian. You'd miss out. Sam, my visiting teachee, and I went to the temple for a session. She just got endowed so she had a few questions and so we spent a good chunk of time in the celestial room just talking. It was wonderful.
Tucanos: we ate meat and talked about fight club.
This is the first year that new AT students were invited to the end-of-year banquet, so Lauren and I went and purposely sat with Rob Ramos, AT for the men's basketball team. That's what I want to do. I'm starting with track thought, which will be fun and get me familiar with all the different modalities and such. (Basketball season doesn't really start until next semester anyways....) We almost won a gatorade shirt, but not quite.
Already friends with this kid. Hit me up, Rob. 
Friday morning, aced my microbiology test. Cake. I got my French results back from the test that lets me skip 16 credits of classes. I got straight As. Except for the first class. First semester French- B+. Go figure. I went to a study group for my finance class with Tyson, from my ward, and his moderately attractive friend, Blake. After basically teaching them about investing, I did pretty well on my test. My ward does "Feed the Starving Students" nights during finals. Basically every other day our bishopric makes us delicious food. The other day was a cookout and did I mention how much I love hamburgers? Derek and I went to see the play And Then There Were None, based on the mystery by Agatha Christie. I love that book. I like the movie. I mostly loved the play. Et voila, my cultural event of the year.
Note: the actual Lambert isn't nearly 
as attractive as this poster. 
Saturday, Lauren and I went to the temple to do baptisms for family names (thanks Mimi!). I have actually started finding my own family names, thanks to Lauren, genealogy pro. We were only there for two and a half hours due to delays from a large hispanic family. Rachel May and I relived the good old days via havardi and turkey paninis. I forgot how good they were and how much I appreciate Rachel May's tastes in music. Also I was locked out of my apartment, so it was perfect timing.
Yeah, family. 
As per tradition, we went country swing dancing in Hawaiian shirts. Lauren and I met on my birthday three years ago in those circumstances. There was a small Asian man doing a very intricate line dance  (check it out at 3:00) and it was hilarious. The man who launched a million laughs: we owe it to you, big guy.
Ok, how do we look? Terrifying. 
Finished off the night with a visit to the Malt Shoppe, my old stomping grounds. That short visit was about as much as I could handle.
Thanks Susie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment