Sunday, March 27, 2016

Honest, Simple, Solid, True

Many moons ago, my new roommate and cello performance major Christina nonchalantly asked me if I knew anyone who played the piano. I said, um, yeah, me. First mistake. She tricked me into accompanying her at the musical fireside. After many weeks of diligent practice (such as has never been known by my grade school piano instructrice), the night of the fireside arrived. And it was one of those performances where parts of your clothes catch on fire at various times and you have to hurry to put it out before it ruins the whole thing. Feel me? However, since nobody even knew I played at all beforehand, most people were suitably impressed.

And sometimes I do weird things with friends.
After leaving clinicals later than expected on Monday, Matt and I front-packed over to the RB for a ward dinner/dance. (For any new additions, "front-packing" refers to times when Matt puts his backpack on his chest and pedals his bike while I sit on the seat and hold onto the straps. It helps us move faster.) My rather lengthy experience with buffet-style dinners and church events has taught me several useful skills. One of these is to just take a whole box of pizza and bottle of soda to a table, so I never have to get up for refills. And people feel more inclined to sit with me. Dinner was lovely, the dance was somewhat disappointing. (Not about dance instruction, just dancing.)

Touched the sign before they made a rule against it. #SorryNotSorry
Tuesday was the coldest day of the week and I had to be outside and functional for eight hours straight. There was a double-header for our soccer team (who crushed it) and I had to be there to take care of my guy Lido, make ridiculous parody songs for Gaston, and grudgingly prepare ice bags for the fallen players. I'm still recovering from the chill.

An artistic picture by: me.
Wednesday the DrugLords met to discuss our upcoming presentation, complete with rap. On the way home, I ran into Greg and his child mentor, Ashley. They came over to eat some of Christina's large chocolate birthday cake and Ashley and I had a good time teasing Greg. What's new? Then I did loads of HW and ate free waffles.





















Thursday night Greg and I went to the TEDxBYU event at the Covey Center. Highlights of the night: Randall Bell spoke on the important of establishing small, but rich habits for our success and happiness. Zach Atherton demonstrated the use of humor to address societal problems and validated my love of the Colbert Report.

My guy, Zach, rapping.
Bill Sommerville, a spritely old man, covered the importance of moving quickly, having trust, and keeping things simple in an effort to puff life into the community. During the intermission, Greg and I used some virtual reality glasses to watch the news.

My friend, Brad, hooked me up with the dolphin video.
We watched a film on squids that turn white as a sign of aggression to fend off other males, but always keep their brown side pointing towards the female. Like some men.

Then we stopped by my mission reunion. Killed me to miss it.
Then Dave Vance, writer for Studio C and the Squatty Potty, discussed the ways that humor can turn the mundane into the exciting, make the controversial safe, and connect the disconnected.

Guess what Lauren's favorite thing is? 
Friday was a long night of clinicals, HW, and painting. Yes, painting. This one's for you, Kevin Sanderlin. And I'm having fun learning new techniques.

Because we don't have enough car pictures. 
Saturday, Cam and I tried to go to the temple, but it closed at ten in preparation for women's conference. So he came over and helped me with music for my upcoming film, Detergent. Then I swam for a long time in an effort to complete the Lazy Man Iron Man of the semester.
Us, not shaking hands with Thomas S.
Lauren and I went to Women's Conference with our favorite red balloon. We sat right by some students that Lauren subbed for. I chatted with some very nice old men on the way in, because for some reason I really get along with old men. Go figure. I also like young men. Just saying.

Women for dayssss. 
And today is Easter, so happy day to you. If you are obedient and hardworking, you will be happy. #BecauseOfHim.

No comments:

Post a Comment