Sunday, April 3, 2016

Kevinnecticut Comes to Town

Monday was a rough day. Matt, who I spend a majority of my time with, got me sick. I still went to FHE and played Apples to Apples and ate cookies and chocolate. But I was very cranky. 






Tuesday was also rough for two reasons other than my continued illness: 1) I had 2 tests which could have gone better, and 2) my clinical hours were changed from an easy 2h to 8h. I hate it when games are rescheduled to my inconvenience. 



Somehow, I still managed to study for my anatomy test the following day. And eat half a dozen large, chocolate-covered strawberries that were delivered to me.

Wednesday, I took that anatomy exam and did well enough. I also had my presentation on the ethical use of performance-enhancing drugs in sports. Sometimes I forget that people aren't as comfortable as I am presenting in front of people. My whole group basically forgot what they were supposed to talk about, but it came together. Also, I did this rap as an intro:
Olympic drug use is in our history
It's a mystery
Why this liberty
Is still not cleared in the system, see?
Coaches gave drugs out for the victory
It's on you if your drugs cause you injury
Anything's fair but game-fixing, see?
It's unclear to me
How drugs were on the plate
For years and years, then opinions mutate
When Kurt shot up too much and checkmate:
Second Olympian with death as his fate
Then in '68
A new law to create
The IOC was hoping drug use would abate
But it was too late
The limit was passed
From Lance to Bonds, drug use is vast
You gotta get trashed if you wanna go fast
So do you want the gold, or to come in last?
I finished the last 20 swimming laps of my Lazy Man Iron Man so I could get my free t shirt. Then I headed over to waffle night, where I met Brooks, the ex-music composition major, who gave me some pointers on my accordion rap. In return, I let him check play an accordion off his bucket list. 



Thursday was another long day of clinicals. This time I had to watch several hours of softball, which is my least favorite. But Matt and I stole some fruit snacks and a whole tray of cookies from their dugout snack supply and Patty snuck us some cheese sticks, so we managed. And I had the pleasure of seeing the Albach sisters minus Kaitlyn, since they assistant coach at Orem.


Kevin got to town Thursday night and then spent a long boring day with Greg, when he could have chilled with me at my cadaver lab, rehab class, upper extremities (where we watched studio c until our teacher texted and said class was cancelled, so we could have played basketball), and exercise physiology. 














Then he could have come to Provo High and treated injuries for a few hours before going outside in the surprisingly warm sunlight to watch the 1st and 2nd best HS soccer teams in Utah play each other. And get free pizza, cheezits, and fruit snacks from an intern.



Instead, I tried to plan a basketball game between when I was finished (about 830) and when he had to go to Derek's bachelor party (10). It would have worked out pretty nicely, except that the chapel we planned to play at, was unexpectedly taken over by a wedding reception. UT: where even bishops don't know what's going on at the chapel because they share it with five other wards.



Saturday, my RS presidency did a breakfast for everyone in order to use up our budget. Waffles, berries galore, bacon, sausage, chocolate milk, OJ, etc. After eating, the guys and I went back to my place to unwrap my birthday gift - Mom framed my Jesus painting and it looks beautiful. My house is going to have some classy artwork. And, in typical Mom-style, that painting had several layers of cardboard, styrofoam, bubblewrap, duct tape, and bungee cords ensuring its safe delivery. Classic.



After the morning session (and plenty of time to digest), Kev, Greg, Derek, and I went to Tucanos for my birthday meal. It was just as delicious as I remembered. And our guy, Kyle from TX, hooked us up with meat as fast as we could eat it. We left him a nice note. And a tip.



Bellies full to bursting, we watched the afternoon session of conference together before the boys went up to PH at the conference center and I went to my mission BFF Jordan Jones' bridal shower: free donuts and soda, games that were fun because I kept winning, and some delightful company. Later, I watched the PH session in fast mode while painting another squid.



Today, my roommate made me a cinnamon roll for breakfast :) And I watched conference with the guys - feasting on Sally Smiles girl scout cookies, strawberries from Saturday breakfast, and waffles. Then I Bang!ed everyone. It was a lucky strategic win. After the final session of the shortest conference on record, my French friends Alexis and Toky came over to visit, and Kunz stopped by to give us free cookies. All in all, not a bad week.


No comments:

Post a Comment