Sunday, May 15, 2016

Ode to Moriah: You the Real MVP

Moriah: Easily most sane person in this family. Literally everyone loves her and she makes us happy just thinking about her. How does she work this witchcraft??


She'll just calmly sit there all day, getting up only to close the door when little scums leave it open. She's so happy to see anyone come home and she'll pretend whatever new craft she made is only for you. Then she'll tell you all about her day and by that I mean what she ate all day, because she knows what's important.

Then if you ask her what she wants to do, and she's already eaten, she'll say Let's play a game. Let's play Uno. Because she knows it's a classic. Then this slimy dog will hit you with every Draw 2 and Draw 4 known to man and still let you win. Then openly call you the Uno King.


So Moriah has a very distinct way of talking and it's kind of hard to understand sometimes. But this one time, we were playing Uno and Xander got hit with like six Draw 2's (and you know those suckas build) and he said, Moriah, I need you to play a Draw 2 now! And Moriah just calmly looks in her cards for about five minutes and finally says, in the most serene and eloquent voice I've ever heard,  I'm sorry, Xander, but I cannot do that.


She hates exercise and is very content to literally sit there all day waiting for someone to leave the door open. But sometimes we try to get her to do stuff anyways because she eats enough food for three grown men. And because she knows I like exercise, she'll be all excited to show me her pushup. And then Mom will make her go outside and run around the house and she'll hate it the whole time and say things like, My heart is bleeding! I think my leg is broken!


Then, randomly this week, I was like, What are we doing tonight?  And Moriah said, Hiking? And it just knocked my socks off and we all said, Oh heeeckkk, yes. So we walked down the street and went on a one-mile hike at Glacier Park and she loved it and climbed over all the rocks and was so good at seeing the blue trail markers.


And all Moriah really thinks about is food and when the next time is that she can eat. Oatmeal or sandwiches or bagels or bacon. But the other day, Moriah finished her dinner and was still hungry and said Ok, I know that dinner's done and I'm not gonna complain. But can we have a movie night?


And also Moriah hates watching movies, but ever since we set up our stadium seating and projector she wants to have movie nights every night. And her favorite movie is Star Wars. And if you want to make popcorn, she's ok with it.


And Moriah is just happy to spend time with you. It doesn't really matter what you're doing. Like yesterday she literally spent the whole day helping people clean. She helped me clean the basement and library and family room and Hannah clean the bathroom and Dad do yard work. She cleaned more than anyone in this family. And in the middle of helping me clean the library, she just stops and looks at me and says, Nomi, I think you're awesome. And those are the best words that have ever been spoken to me.


Sometimes Moriah gets mad because she's a teenager and sometimes Mom asks her to do ridiculous things that make zero logical sense. And whenever I can tell she's mad, I make her stand up and I keep giving her hugs until she laughs and it's the easiest thing.

While I was cleaning, I paused in the middle to look at a large pile of junk I was forbidden to throw away and wondering what to do with it and Moriah asks, What are you doing?And I said, Oh, you know, just being mad. And Moriah just comes up to me, laughing already, and says,  Okay, hug? And keeps hugging me until I promise I'm not mad anymore.


And Moriah always wants to go on errands with me and so we'll always listen to rap music - like the good kind with a great beat and unparalleled lyrical mastery and obviously I'll sing along and Moriah will get really into it and just bang her head up and down and one day Moriah wrote a rap.


And she is the best of all the Hutchins dancers. And sometimes I make her watch dance videos on YouTube with me and we try to copy them and even though Moriah doesn't need that she does it anyways.

Not to mention she is a clutch poser. This girl is the most creative. Singer / songwriter / model / actress / comedian / Uno King / Summer Schooler / etc. And that's why I love Moriah.

And if you wanted a recap of my week, here's the DL shortlist:
Started work. Lunched at a pavilion on site. 
Scarlet Pimperneled. Muzzied. Kuzco'd. 
Painting 5 / 25. This one's for Kev. Scuttlebutt and all.
Worshipped the blessed Motha. 

1 comment:

  1. Well written and done, young N'omi. I love that sister of yours, who always greets me with "Welcome home!"

    ReplyDelete