Sunday, December 4, 2016

Grig Grog Groog Grug Strike Back

The Grad Assistants said, "Let there be drama." And there was drama. And I saw that it was annoying. The football team only had treatment this week, so the AT students got to share hours and work less and it was "la galere," a big mess. I'm the treatment king so I just worked all the hours. The GA's were appreciative since they could barely get their students to come in and again wished that I could go to the bowl game with them. Alas.

A few weeks back, my basketball class had an NBA-style draft. Somehow my team drew the short end of the stick, and I mean that literally because our team is very short. And also we lost every single game of the season. Flashforward to this week, when we started tournament. Ranked fourth, we were destined to play the best team and somehow we killed them by 30. It helped that Austin hit about 95% of the 3's he shot and I had some good looks on the post.

My friend was feeling a bit off-color this week so I drawed him a thing.

The Little Brown Girl Downstairs, aka Ashlyn, needed a subject for her taping lab final at UVU and asked me to help. We walked in to the training room at 9:30 at night, after her teacher/UVU's AT Paul had finished with practice. I happened to have a BYU sweatshirt on because it was cold and that's literally all the clothes I own at this point in my life and Paul flipped a shiz. He had me go change and then wait in the hall for 30 min and then graded Ashlyn really meticulously on her tape jobs. He was a jerk and I felt bad because it was partially my fault, but also she still has an A in the class, so mainly it's just a funny story now.

For my Admin class, I had to do a fake grad school interview, which went well, I think. I'm interested to hear back from ACon what an actual interview is like (because she has to have 8am-3pm blocked out in her day). But my favorite question was - if you could be a piece of furniture, what would you be? Couch, duh.
Anyone remember this gem? Ohhh, The District.
Every year, the French department holds a meeting about the origins of Christmas traditions in France. Here's some things I learned: during the revolution the celebration of Christmas was forbidden. After it was once again permitted, the government offered a certificate of citizenship to Jesus. A Pastorale is a nativity play from the view of the shepherds. The word 'marionette' came from nativity puppet shows (it means 'little Mary'). Families would pour win (our sins) on the yule log (Jesus) and let it burn for three days, purifying us. It was then extinguished with holy water from the church and ashes were sprinkled around the property. The tree represents the tree of knowledge of good and evil, because families would tell the story of the creation until the coming of Jesus over a series of nights, using various props. A MoTab singer came to sing 'Minuit Chretiens' (like O Holy Night, but better because it's originally French the lyrics are killer) and it always makes me cry.

In all his glory: M. Le Chin.

Between everything else, I studied all week for my physics test. Which I felt really good about, even while I was taking it. And then I saw my score. Yikes. Haha. I hate physics.

The Chin came in Friday afternoon. We picked up Greggy and some Cafe Rio and headed to the Divine Comedy 'Best of' Show. Favorite skits - an Yzma/Kronk dating scenario and the parody of the Prince of Egypt about Broses and the art students (especially the "you're playing with the big boys" song). Dad loved it and all the glow sticks they threw out. This man was diving over people and into the aisles to catch stuff.

Let's play count the glow sticks.
We brought Derek with us to the bookstore, Monsieur Le Chin's favorite place. We also saw a bunch of Disney princesses running around and HAD to get our pics taken. Why is Dad's favorite princess Sleeping Beauty? Because she talks the least.

He'd only take the pic if we were in it though.
SOMEONE'S camera shy.

Hannah joined us for some Spikeball, aka Scrubball, aka Schrumball. Greg and I were the champions for a long time. It was fun, but I think Greg/Trevor are going to kill Dad/Derek over Christmas. Not sure why that challenge was issued; it wasn't really The Chin's best move, having no idea what Spikeball even is.

Here's another with Megara and Tinkle.

We booked to Tucanos for our birthday special for Greg. It was delicious and filling and we tried all the kinds of lemonade with our delightful server, Cody, who served in the Boston mission.

Then we glubbed over to the bowling alley where Grog, Grug, Gryg, and Greg challenged the Chin. He blew us out first game. My goal was to beat Grog, aka Shiboi, aka Derek. Did it. The key is to put limited effort in, until an increase in effort is necessary. Keeps things interesting.

A gaggle of Griggity Glops.

Greg left to attend his Christmas party and we skipped ours to go to the volleyball game vs. UNLV. Derek, who hates volleyball, was NOT mad we went and kind of enjoyed himself. I started playing Injustice during the breaks - my favorite type of game because it requires little to no skill or strategy. All in all, not a bad week.
Gryg, the family dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment