Sunday, October 20, 2019

Go Bug or Go Home

After class Monday, I observed with a pediatric physical therapist. The most impressive thing to me was how much some kids need deep pressure. Being crushed by a large mat, or slamming it to the ground. And sometimes they can't get that elsewhere. I think I need it too, but basketball kind of helps.

This creepy man, who has no place on an auscultation website. 
Roger and I went to Bookman's to explore the used bookstore. I bought a new book of piano tunes and we almost picked out a book for Paisley. Roger's kind of picky about what to get her though. For good reason.

This week, somebody finally listened to our complaints about the distribution of our program fees. I ended up with meeting requests from the chair, dean & assistant, and the provost (basically like the VP of NAU). I told them all to come to a combined meeting, so they made some time. We still didn't get everything answered, but it was a start.

Breakfast to keep me sane in a busy week. 
Joey and I had our last week of ortho clinic. It went well, but I always wish there was more time. Fortunately, I think our patient really just needed some education and confidence to start his path back to full health and so now he's got all the tools he needs. Unfortunately, somehow our online note-taking service deleted his account and so now I've got some cleanup to do.

Our volleyball games are getting longer as we get more competitive. We won our first match 2/3 and lost the second with the same ratio. Roger came to watch, but said he didn't understand anything that was going on except the score. Which is all you need, I think. By the end, my knees hurt so bad that I iced them for hours and had to take it easy during our HIIT workout with Karen the next day.

Sister Morris at the Institute of Religion provided soup and homemade bread for us on Thursday. She said she planned it just for our class to come and partake. We didn't bring as many as last time, but we're working on it. Then Dr. Cornwall bought all of his TA's pizza for setting up the anatomy quiz (and me for doing research in the early morning). As Brandi said, most money I've ever made for the amount of work that I do.

Go Bug or Go home. 
Friday was a crazy day of work, setting up for the race, and ending in a planned date to see the new MIB at the free NAU theater with Brandi and her parents. Unfortunately, Roger's test took a while so we got there late and then realized they changed the movie! We got back just in time to realize Brandi's crew never went to the theater and instead rented from RedBox and so we got to watch the movie after all.

GoBIG finally arrived and went off with only minimal hitches. Mostly not from my crew. But since I picked good committee heads, I only had minimal cleanup to do on my end other than helping everyone else figure out their shiz. NAU's TV channel was there and did a few interviews, lots of racers and family, and our teachers who supported. The silent auction and raffle did pretty well from what I can tell, and I even won some things! Still not sure how much we made, but I'll get back with pictures and money info by next week hopefully.

I hit 15,000 steps by noon just handling business. So it was nice to go home and rest for an hour before meeting up for the combined ward temple trip. Brandi's parents agreed to drive so we could sleep. We paused to take a picture on the corner of Winslow, Arizona and then sideswiped a van on a one-way street and had to talk to a cop for a while. So we never made it to the temple.

Riding home with Brandi's bumper between us in case it's salvageable. 
But we did go to El Tapatío, the Mexican restaurant I see every week on the way to basketball. It was well worth it, but I cannot afford to eat there again for a while. Delicioso. Then we went home and carved turnips (the precursor to the pumpkin) and watched BYU wreck Boise.

Can't wait for it to decay into a shriveled head. 

2 comments:

  1. The program fees left me intrigued. What dont you like about them? Can you elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the fact that I have to pay them, for starters. But more importantly, the fact that nobody knew officially what they were paying for, and rumors said they were going to engineering or to our parallel cohort in PHX instead of to our actual program. Then because I was asking questions, lots more rumors started about various professors losing their jobs or tenure.

      Delete