Sunday, July 24, 2022

The Cataract Creek Gang Strikes

It was a busy week with work, during which I had to tell my favorite patient that I wouldn't be seeing them much longer. We had a good YW activity cleaning out our closet and seeing what actual usable supplies we have available. There were only 2 YW in town this week, so it worked well and now we have about a sixth of the junk that was in there - organized, labelled, and catalogued so we know what we've got. Everything else is in the dumpster. 

Steerage level passengers. 

Part 2 of learning to sew pants happened this week and it was nice to learn about how to tailer them to different body types, although is much easier if someone is helping. I was a little annoyed to learn that we had to buy our own fabric for this class (especially because I had to pay a lot of money to take it), but I got a good deal and maybe I'll just make my own pants from here on out instead of buying them. Although I haven't bought new pants for years anyways. 

The railway.

Rog and I decided to celebrate our anniversary via a trip to Williams and ride on the Grand Canyon railway. It was a nice 45-minute drive and we had some good pizza and a hotel with a pool and hot tub and king size bed. Although I immediately morphed into a KING, making the bed still at full capacity without Roger in it. 

Let me tell you the draw of this train ride, which was the driving force behind our trip. For years as a child, I dreamed up this train ride/robbery wild west-style experience that I thought would be hilarious fun. Turns out it exists and it was definitely hilarious fun. We got the slum seats with open windows (and I worked several discounts) and were entertained by live musicians on the way up. We spent a few hours at the canyon - snacking and hiking around and taking pictures. And then we boarded up to come back. 

The Canyon

We had new performers and were interrupted by the Cataract Creek Gang stopping, boarding, and robbing the train. It was hilarious and there was a child next to us that cried the whole time and afterwards threatened to punch those guys in the face. His older brother realized that they hadn't even taken any of the backpacks on the overhead bins and said, "Those fools!" 

The robbery.

It was a good time. The passenger service man was also the cutest and kept giving us all these handouts. And then we got to drive back in terrible traffic while I read one of my favorite books to Roger with some key edits. We got back around 8pm to the news that Rog had a HW assignment that was due and my counselor had an emergency tooth procedure in the valley, leaving me to do the lesson for church tomorrow. It's on temples, so I'm fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment