Sunday, December 3, 2023

"What are you gonna use those kayaks for?" "Ummm, kayaking?"

Back at it in the gym and going for runs. (Shorter than usual, but that's what I can convince myself to do right now in the frigid cold). We had a goodly number (but less goodly skill) at VB this week. I had a visit with my naturopath who is going to hook me up with a better probiotic and something for my liver (which apparently is the cause of me now waking up at 3am unable to go back to sleep every day). And she told me to keep up the kambucha, so there's that. 

Rog got home late Monday night from helping his BFF Collin kill a big one (but not the biggest one they saw, unfortunately). And he was able to make the BEST deer steaks, gravy, potatoes, and broccoli to share with our friends Susan & Mike (an elderly couple who loves hunting and fits in well with the crew). It was fun to hang out with them.

We cancelled our activity this week since there was nothing planned despite having held a planning meeting to make sure the rest of the year was planned. So that happened. 

Thursday was almost the highlight of the week. After Rog got home, we were talking about kayaks we wanted (which we decided was our Christmas this year) and decided to go take a look at local deals. Our last stop was Walmart, where Rog had seen some he liked earlier this year, but wasn't able to commit at the time. We convinced them to open the cage for us - since it was snowing and they were put away. And the first kayak we looked at didn't have a seat, so the guy agreed to sell it for $50 with the other kayak we were checking out. We agreed. 

So now we have our kayaks - but still need 1 seat and 2 paddles. Unfortunately, I also found out that Rog didn't think this actually counted as a Christmas replacement, so we had negotiations for budgeting and came to a reasonable agreement. 

The actual highlight of the week was when we took Rog's grandma out for dinner and gave her 3 options. She picked Asia Station - a place downtown we had never heard of before I did some research. Turns out, it was a great decision. It was loud and crowded, so not a great place for conversation, but that didn't matter once the food came. Quality, quantity, and all for a reasonable price. So reasonable that we also got sides of cream cheese wontons and dumplings in addition to our heaping plates. Rog has a new favorite Asian place. 

My Spotify wrapped says I'm an Alchemist, meaning I make more playlists than most people. Probably because I like to stay organized. And also says I doubled Rog's listening - which is because I work out more often and he snipes Kelly's Audible credits for work. 

We had a special stake conference this week with the Dunns, who were fun to listen to. It was a much better experience than our last stake conference in October, which was really nice. 

And finally, Rog convinced me to start a casual YT series called iSipCider, where I rate various ciders I try on a scale from 1 to Clyde's. Uploaded the first video today on one that we did not love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment