Sunday, March 24, 2024

Turkey Banquet

The good news of the week is that my workouts are going a lot better. I played volleyball with a good crew on Monday, then went to the gym for a weightlifting session daily for the rest of the week. I'm changing up the strategy a little, but it's going well so far. I even went on a walk on Saturday in the crazy winds. 

The youth had a combined activity this week, which was indoor kickball. The YM were in charge, which means the YM leaders were in charge, which means they played and tried to dominate all the youth - most of which have never played kickball before in their lives. That's always kind of annoying to me because I feel like we're there to be facilitators and not just crush them because we know the strategy. 

Thursday, Al and I had a good study session for CFM and how it relates back to purposes of the BOM and covenants. Rog and I had a different CFM study earlier in the week. And then I also was at Bree's house for 2 hours helping her prepare for a lesson on for Sunday (that I wouldn't be at and is a point of contention between me and the other leaders, but that's besides the point). The point is that this is her 5th lesson in her YW career and the only one she's every prepared for, so I'm happy with that. 

Roger was sad because he was supposed to be on a 3 day camping trip with his BFF early in the week, but there ended up being a very sudden and huge snowstorm and he said if they hadn't left when they did (day 1), they would've been stuck out there for a few weeks at best. As it was, they had to leave by offroading as the roads were too treacherous to navigate. 

My latest meal prep investment. 

So as a consolation, I got Rog ice cream. It worked out because I had a doctor's appt and they ended up telling me that the tests they had planned for that visit didn't make it into the schedule and so I had to come back a different day and do them and it was a waste of my time to even be there. (But also since I can only see them at 3 or later, they recommended I go to a different office for scheduling and I'm not sure they take my insurance so I haven't decided if I'm going to do them or not yet. Apparently they weren't important enough to put on the schedule.)

I had a real late start on Saturday, but I did some grocery shopping and cleaning and showering (amazing). And Rog went out and looked for antlers for a bit. He's having a harder time keeping track of his location without looking at the GPS. Hopefully it's just the snow messing with him and not early onset dementia.

We had a date at the annual turkey banquet - which is both a good tax write-off and our favorite form of gambling as it goes directly towards wildlife preservation (Rog's passion). We met our friends from last year - Dorothy, Guy, and Rex, and were able to sit at their table. Rog sat next to a stranger who talked his ear off the whole time and I sat next to Guy, a mentally/physically handicapped vet who gave me his slice of cake. 

We were disappointed at food quantities this year - last year we were stuffed. This year we pre-gamed with ice cream and left hungry. But we got to put in for some raffles (which we didn't win) and play some fun games for more raffles. Rog smoked at pong - with the high score for the night. (Higher score = more raffle tickets for 0.22 rifle). He also really liked one were you get as many tickets as your wingspan. 

The turkeys. 

We didn't win anything this time, but we had fun being around good people. And with the ladies' raffle, you went home with a bottle of wine and a turkey call, so we weren't empty handed and I got to pick a bottle that might be useful for cooking rather than drinking. 

The news of Sunday is that I was released from YW. The bishopric made it sound like it was a mercy release since I've been working with the youth for a while, but the girls were upset, some of the parents were upset, and the last YW president called me because she's upset. I'm just interested to see how things play out from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment